about life (and laundry)

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Two Steps To Shiny Stainless Steel...

After a bit of experimenting, I finally came up with a "fairly" quick way to get stainless steel appliances clean and shiny... Sprayway is my drug of choice (haha, my sis-in-law calls this stuff "crack", seriously you have got to try it, even if you don't have stainless steel appliances, the window cleaner by itself is insane... you will have perfectly clean/streak-free windows after just one use of this fabulous foaming cleaner!!! But I digress... back to stainless steel cleaning, you will need both Sprayway Glass Cleaner and Stainless Steel Polish and two cotton cloths (keep the polish cloth with your polish, it does not need to be washed after each use and will keep oily for small touch-ups.) First you must clean the surface with the Glass Cleaner... it cuts through all the grime/gunk/oils that just rinsing with water doesn't do, and using soap with water leaves too much film behind. Once you have completed the cleaning process you will see many streaks and uneven tones in the steel, this is where the polishing comes in. Now you will use the Stainless Steel polish (I refuse to call it "cleaner... and polish" like the can says... because it DOES NOT CLEAN!) To get the best finish, try to rub the polish in "with the grain" of your appliance (a tip from my other sis-in-law) .

Seriously, if you have had trouble getting your SS to look like new, this works!!! Just try it in an inconspicuous spot first (I wouldn't want to be responsible for ruining someone else's stuff!!!)

btw... I am pretty sure that I have cleaned the exterior of this new fridge more in the past 3 weeks than I cleaned my previous fridge in it's entire existence!!! (and we bought that one when we purchased our first home 9 yrs ago!)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this tip. Where can I purchase this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xela, I found both products at Sam's Club. Good Luck! Hope it is as successful for you as it has been for me :)

    ReplyDelete